Friday, April 23, 2010

A hummingbird takes a bath



I'd read about it, but I'd never seen it happen--a hummingbird took a bath in my garden today.  Actually, he took a shower under my garden hose.  I was very gently watering some new plants when a ruby-throated little guy buzzed in and sat down on a garden stake.  As I held the hose overhead, he stayed there, fluttering his wings over and over, obviously enjoying a refreshing rinse and probably getting some of the spring pollen out of his feathers.  Too cool!  He left after 2 or 3 minutes, but stayed long enough for me to get a good look at his bright red throat and to enjoy watching his enjoy the shower!

The photo above isn't "my" hummingbird, but it does show the beautiful scarlet colors of the same kind of bird that visited my flowers.

2 comments:

Laurrie said...

I had the same thing happen last summer while I was watering the garden. Isn't it a delight!

Lynn Coulter said...

He was the first I've seen this season, too, so now I'm watching in hopes that more arrive!